Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Depressing smoking news

The Jyllands-Posten has an article about Danes' smoking habits. According to the article:

Costly anti-smoking campaigns have had little effect on Danes. Sale of tobacco products have risen by 12 percent over the last few years sales, according to the Scandinavian Tobacco Company (ST).


I had started to get optimistic about Europe's anti-smoking laws. Ireland, England & Sweden are some of the front runners, banning smoking in public places including restaurants.

Smokers 'only' use DKK 11.5 billion a year on tobacco, but it costs the public health system DKK 27 billion to treat patients with smoking-related illnesses.


It's good to know that a good chunk of these outrageous taxes I pay here go to covering the costs for people too stupid to stop a vile habit that kills them and the people around them. I guess I'll have to put up with smokers blowing smoke at my baby (I'm not lying) in restaurants for a little longer. Grr.

No comments: