Monday, February 20, 2006

Why THOSE cartoon were published

An interesting article from Jyllands-Posten, the Danish newspaper that published the cartoons that started all this hub-bub. It's written by the editor who commissioned the satirical drawings.

"Has Jyllands-Posten insulted and disrespected Islam? It certainly didn't intend to. But what does respect mean? When I visit a mosque, I show my respect by taking off my shoes. I follow the customs, just as I do in a church, synagogue or other holy place. But if a believer demands that I, as a nonbeliever, observe his taboos in the public domain, he is not asking for my respect, but for my submission. And that is incompatible with a secular democracy."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think, in a multicultural world, it becomes increasingly more relevant, if we are to survive as a world community, to develop sensitivbity for all cultures, religions, and countries. I spiritually pray all will become more enlightened as to the best way to be in this matter for the survival of the world