Saturday, June 09, 2012

Someone's in the kitchen with Dina

"I LOVE chocolate!" declared Dina as I chopped up the chocolate block for cookies.

"Yes, I know." I replied dryly.




"Can I have one of those things you wear when you're cooking? You know, an open?" Dina asked.

"You mean an apron?"

"Yes! I need an apron. Where's an apron? Can I have an apron? Where is it? Can I have it? Please get it. Will you get it, will you get it, will you get?!"

The joys of baking with a four year old.

"Ut-oh. I had Daddy get more chocolate, which we don't need but I didn't ask for brown sugar, which we do need!" Oof. I stop, take off the apron, ready myself and Dina to go out into the rain, and to the store for brown sugar. Meeting Lars on the way out, he informs me that he did, indeed, go back to the store and got brown sugar when he got my panicked text.

"Where is it?!" I asked in my panicky voice.

"See, it's in this bag here, the I-went-back-to-the-store-to-get-sugar bag." He informed me, in the usual voice he uses when I use my panicky voice.

So Dina and I take off the rain coats and boots and put our aprons back on.




When we finish the dough, I say, "Let's try putting the dough in the refrigerator for an hour, making the dough into rolls and slicing bits off to make the cookies. I've never tried that before."

"I don't think that's a good idea." Dina says solemnly.

"We're doing it."

"Ok. Can I clean this?" she asks. Hell yes, I think. "Yes, thank you." I say.

"I'm the cleaner, and you're the baker!" Dina declares. We spend the next 20 minutes calling each other "Baker!" and "Cleaner!" and she's happy as a clam. The benefits of baking with an easily amused 4 year old.




For the next hour, both Emma and Dina come to ask me if the cookies are ready every 5 minutes.

***

The timer goes off and I check the the tollhouse cookie recipe. After an hour chilling, the dough needs to be shaped and go BACK in the fridge for another half an hour? Screw that.

I make three dozen cookies and put them in the oven.




Meanwhile, Dina wants to clean again. She ends up using most of the bottle of dishwashing liquid on two coffee cups. Yelling ensues. On both sides.

Finally the cookies are done. It only took almost three hours and my entire afternoon...






- Most likely posted in a mad rush from one device or another...

Location:Tingstedet,Billund,Denmark

No comments: